My name is Mumbi. I am a performing spoken word poet, writer, and self-published author from the green city under the sun, otherwise known as Nairobi, Kenya.
Congratulations on finding this little corner of the internet that I call home!
I recently wrote & self-published my debut poetry book, available in Kenya HERE.
Want to watch my poetry videos? click here
From the blog
- What’s happening in Africa?We’re no longer slaves, but we sure ain’t free.
- 5 THINGS TO DO IN NAIROBI CBD“Cities are like people, constantly showing their different personalities”. For a lot of us who live in Nairobi, we may sometimes feel as though the city isn’t as exciting as we’d like it to be, or that we occasionally need to get out of Nairobi for some ‘fresh air’. I am writing this blog post,Continue reading “5 THINGS TO DO IN NAIROBI CBD”
- Travel with me to Diani (part 2) Things to doOne thing about me, I belong to the wind.
- Travel with me to Diani (part 1) ft. DIANI BACKPACKERSLife is a journey, and I’ve already set sail.
- 24 HOURS WITH BENSOULWhen Bensoul said ‘sinema zao ni telenovela’, he meant it.
- I wrote a book!When I held the first physical copy of my book, all I could think was, wow, I wrote myself into existence.
- LIVING WITH 394 THINGS: I COUNTED EVERYTHING I OWNI recently counted all the things I own, and this happened.
- ‘Sex demons’ and Nairobi entanglementsIn this blog post, I’m talking about the (mis)conceptions we have with regards to dating in Nairobi, and a separate idea of ‘sex demons’.
- How I got here: my life as a spoken word poet so farHere’s a story about a girl who had a poem and a dream. Enjoy!
- An Introductory Guide to Personal Finance ManagementIs money really a boomerang?
- JULIANI: A MASTERPIECE MASTERING PEACEPotential: Exponetial. I recently had a conversation with iconic Kenyan rapper Juliani, and here’s everything we talked about!
- Backpacking through East Africa – everything you need to knowFor a year, I did a good amount of budget travel across East Africa. In this blog post, I tell you how I did it.
- Ngeli ya u-wii: re-reading an insha I wrote in schoolI recently came across a Kiswahili exercise book from my school days, here’s an insha I found written in it!
- How not to self-publish a bookThis is a post about all the lessons I have learned as I have been writing my poetry book. It might serve as a guide to beginners in the literary world on what to expect.
Subscribe to my blog & get links to my new posts sent directly to your email!
“She is definitely indefatigable, and her creativity and oratory, a definition of the word.” – Afrowayent.com
I was born to write and perform poetry. I am a writer, performer, curator, content editor, copywriter, law school graduate, and Sondeka Award’s Best spoken word poet of the year, Kenya 2020.