My name is Mumbi. I am a performing spoken word poet, writer, and self-published author from the green city under the sun, otherwise known as Nairobi, Kenya.
Congratulations on finding this little corner of the internet that I call home!
I recently wrote & self-published my debut poetry book, available in Kenya HERE.
Want to watch my poetry videos? click here
From the blog
- Travel with me to Diani (part 2) Things to doOne thing about me, I belong to the wind.
- Travel with me to Diani (part 1) ft. DIANI BACKPACKERSLife is a journey, and I’ve already set sail.
- 24 HOURS WITH BENSOULWhen Bensoul said ‘sinema zao ni telenovela’, he meant it.
- I wrote a book!When I held the first physical copy of my book, all I could think was, wow, I wrote myself into existence.
- LIVING WITH 394 THINGS: I COUNTED EVERYTHING I OWNI recently counted all the things I own, and this happened.
- ‘Sex demons’ and Nairobi entanglementsIn this blog post, I’m talking about the (mis)conceptions we have with regards to dating in Nairobi, and a separate idea of ‘sex demons’.
- How I got here: my life as a spoken word poet so farHere’s a story about a girl who had a poem and a dream. Enjoy!
- An Introductory Guide to Personal Finance ManagementIs money really a boomerang?
- JULIANI: A MASTERPIECE MASTERING PEACEPotential: Exponetial. I recently had a conversation with iconic Kenyan rapper Juliani, and here’s everything we talked about!
- Backpacking through East Africa – everything you need to knowFor a year, I did a good amount of budget travel across East Africa. In this blog post, I tell you how I did it.
- Ngeli ya u-wii: re-reading an insha I wrote in schoolI recently came across a Kiswahili exercise book from my school days, here’s an insha I found written in it!
- How not to self-publish a bookThis is a post about all the lessons I have learned as I have been writing my poetry book. It might serve as a guide to beginners in the literary world on what to expect.
Subscribe to my blog & get links to my new posts sent directly to your email!
“She is definitely indefatigable, and her creativity and oratory, a definition of the word.” – Afrowayent.com
I was born to write and perform poetry. I am a writer, performer, curator, content editor, copywriter, law school graduate, and Sondeka Award’s Best spoken word poet of the year, Kenya 2020.